Systems Engineer - Science
Job Reference: GTL-2019-05-102
Location: Chelmsford, United Kingdom
The Systems Engineer will be a key member of our client growing Quantum Technology team that is developing products in order to access new markets in timing, gravity and secure communications in space and on ground. .
Working with other engineering functions and external partners, the systems engineering role requires an experienced systems engineer with a strong physics, electronics, space or communications background. The systems engineer will use his/her skills, knowledge and experience to aid the delivery of a wide range of projects using a systems engineering approach, to bring ground breaking new products to market.
- Work with the business unit, engineering team, project management team, external partner and customer to elicit and document user and system requirements.
- Delivery of high quality engineering artefacts; including, but not limited to: Requirements and Architecture Documents, Reports, Interface Control Documents.
- Analysis of system level requirements and definition of system architecture, behaviour, functionality and performance.
- Understand and clarify the key features of the complete system and then, by functional analysis, divide it into subsystems complete with proper interfaces. Work with the engineering team to develop requirements into various system and engineering specifications.
- Support the Project Manager and Technical Authority in the co-ordination and management of day-to-day project activities and maintaining design integrity – ensuring a balanced approach, considering all aspects of the system specification are considered at all times.
- Liaise with customer and subcontractors during development.
- Ensure appropriate configuration and change management of engineering artefacts.
- Support configuration and change management of sub-contract and programme contract / scope changes.
- Become an expert within the team on aspects of the whole system design and provide support across the wider team.
- Support the relevant project manager(s) in identifying, managing and mitigating project risks.
- Identify, track and resolve relevant project issues.
- Ensure that the solution meets customers’ requirements.
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering life-cycle concepts and approaches.
- Demonstrable experience of the application of the systems engineering approach to complex activities.
- An understanding of a complex products or systems based on physics and/or electronics.
- Practical experience of all stages of the systems development lifecycle.
- The ability to build ongoing relationships with internal and external stakeholders to aid the capture, analysis and negotiation of system requirements.
- Experience of working in a large multi-disciplinary environment.
- Proven ability to perform structured trade-studies and methodical approach to decision making.
- The willingness and ability to rapidly understand new technologies and domains.
- The ability to develop verification procedures and undertake verification activities.
- Demonstrable experience of requirements capture and analysis, including functional analysis
- Very high quality verbal and written communication skills
- Active listening skills
- The candidate should be proactive, a self-starter and a team player.
- Experience of bringing low TRL technologies to market
- Experience of knowledge transfer
- Knowledge of quantum physics; specifically cold atom interferometry, quantum key distribution and/or coherent population trapping
- Knowledge of quantum communications / ground stations
- Knowledge of optics and solid-state laser systems and their safe operation.
- Experience of signal processing, data processing, control engineering and instrument design
- Experience of system design for space applications
- Knowledge of System Reliability and Safety analysis (RAM analysis, FMECA, HAZID, SIL analysis, production of R&M and Safety Cases)
- Knowledge of applicable legislative requirements for electronic and electromechanical systems.
- Experience of supporting technical bids and proposals.
- Proven technical experience in a range of systems engineering tools (e.g. IBM DOORS, MODAF, SysML with IBM Rhapsody/Artisan Studio, IBM Rational Publishing Engine) and techniques.
- Change control processes
- Experience of system integration and test
- Knowledge of Human Factors Integration / Human-centric design