Systems Engineer - Propulsion
Job Reference: GTL-2019-10-102
Location: Harwell, United Kingdom
Our client architects and delivers satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Its systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Our client offers fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career. You will have the opportunity to research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. Your health and well-being matters and that’s why our client offers you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, supporting a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Working as part of our client's Propulsion Engineering Team, based in Harwell and reporting to the Propulsion Engineering Manager, you’ll coordinate technical teams responsible for the design and delivery of propulsion systems, with a strong systems engineering and technical management approach, and provide Systems Engineering support to future developments and continuous improvement of our products, systems and processes.
This will involve, but will not be limited to:
The specification of propulsion equipment requirements (tanks, thrusters valves, pressure regulators, etc), selection and technical follow-up with suppliers, propulsion subsystem development and qualification/acceptance test plan
Preparing subsystem design justification documentation for major design reviews throughout the project life cycle in cooperation with the Program Management Office and other subsystems (Attitude Control, Data Handling, Electrical power, structure and thermal control)
Establishing integration and test plans and requirements for the subsystem
Key Responsibilities and Task :
- Provide Systems Engineering approach for the successful delivery of chemical and electrical propulsion subsystems for our client in the UK contracts
- To provide Systems Engineering support to future development and continuos improvement of our products and systems
- Subsystem and equipment technical requirements definition
- Deliver technical documents for proposals and reviews
- Technical coordination of expertise to follow up equipment development and deliveries
- Respond to customer technical queries and actions from meetings/reviews
- Manage and coordinate multiple system/ subsystem engineering with support for technical expert
Qualifications, Skills & Experience Required
- Technical Degree level qualification in a discipline associated with Systems Engineering (e.g. Aerospace/Mechanical engineering) or related subjects (e.g. Physics)
- Experience in Space Sector is not essential – candidates from similar engineering sectors are encouraged to apply; expertise or knowledge of fluidic or pressurised systems would be advantageous
A demonstrable positive performance record in the following activities is expected:
- System engineering for complex hardware systems, in a project delivery context, with an ability to work with the propulsion equipment specialists to ensure delivery of the overall system
- Application of effective systems engineering knowledge – across the “Systems V” – to achieve critical project outcomes to time, cost and quality
- Sub-system design and analysis, including; specification and technical follow-up of constituent equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work with equipment suppliers and specialists to ensure a technically compliant solution
- Practical engineering impact in system or subsystem development and delivery for programmes
- This position requires a flexible and “can do” approach to perform effectively in a dynamic business environment with drive and resilience in achieving work-related goals; a willingness to “go the extra mile” to achieve results when required; and an ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels, including internally and externally with customers, partners and suppliers.
In line with Our Client's Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided.