Software & EGSE Engineering Manager
Job Reference : GTL-2018-03-105
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
The role is a permanent position and the successful candidate will be based in Bristol, UK.
Our Client has more than 40 years’ experience in the design, integration, testing, operation and commissioning of innovative space systems. Using some of the world’s most sophisticated technologies, our teams create solutions that monitor our oceans, help us better understand climate change and drive scientific progress. They’re also a world-leader in satellite telecommunications. And because we supply the International Space Station, we play a pivotal role in helping mankind explore the universe.
The role is primarily technical with the following responsibilities for EGSE that may include:
- Lead EGSE activities for the company
- Define requirements for EGSE systems.
- Design EGSE systems for Satellite AIT
- Develop documentation for the EGSE systems.
- Functional/block diagrams, Test configuration diagrams, Assembly drawings, Harness drawings, Certification procedures, User manuals.
- Oversee manufacturing process for EGSE systems:
- This will include procurement, managing/prioritizing the manufacturing processes.
- Validation and certification for use in the AIT facility
- 1st level support for the AIT facility
- Including commissioning of hardware, Composition of AIT procedures, Training, Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Configuration management of the EGSE hardware and software components.
- Maintain legacy EGSE systems working with team members based in other sites for knowledge sharing
- Management of EGSE. This will include receipt, preparation, calibration, validation and monitoring its validity while in use
· Perform Work Package Management tasks, which may include but is not limited to:
o Assign work to the team as required and monitor performance
o Prepare project and quality plans and advise systems development teams.
o Define Work Package Milestones and monitor
o Ensure that the design balances functional, service quality and systems management requirements.
o Escalate any major issues / risks with project management initially for review and action
The role will also oversee Software activities with support from the Software Skill lead.
In addition the Engineering Manager is responsible for the managing the EGSE and Software Team. Activities include:
- Day to day line management of the EGSE and Software engineering team, including performance management, development actions, resource allocation and technical oversight.
- Direct delivery of specified engineering tasks in the fulfilment of bids and projects.
- Reviewing workload requirements and assigning resources, providing regular reporting and escalating conflicts to Engineering Group Manager (EGM).
- Cost estimating and time, cost and quality monitoring. Ensuring day to day adherence with these requirements for the specific Engineering Department.
- Responsible for Work Package deliverables for the team
- Producing and deploying skills development plans and resourcing plans in association with the EGMs.
- Work with existing Skills Leads, team members and EGMs on people development
- Perform ad-hoc additional duties that arise from time to time and are consistent with the nature of this position
Key Performance Indicators (not an exhaustive list)
- Work Package / Project Efficiency measures; including cost, quality and schedule
- Workforce productivity against business targets
- Budgetary responsibility of the department (timesheets, off-booking, training and travel)
- Capital Cost and Operational Cost identification / control of the department (feeding into EGM’s)
- Delivery of Personal Development activities within the “campaign” timescales
- Health, Safety & Environment performance against company targets
Principal relationships are required with the following;
- Engineering Department Team members
- Engineering Group Manager
- Skills Leads
- Resource Analyst
- Head of Competence Centre
- Client's departments such as Quality, Supply Chain and Purchasing, Bid & Project Management
- Chief Technical Officer
- Engineering stakeholders within the wider client's organisation
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A degree in space or aerospace engineering – or a compatible subject (involving significant technical / scientific content)
- Significant Experience of working in a space / aerospace or related industry in a complex stakeholder environment, (multi-country, multi customer, multi discipline)
- A positive track record of delivering engineering solutions on time, to cost, quality and budget in a bid / project management context.
- Previous supervisory experience in a project / engineering context
- Previous experience of developing and deploying skills and resource plans.
- Shapes Solutions out of Complexity
- Influences Key Stakeholders
- Being Ambitious and Accountable
- Performs Through Co-operation
- Engages and Develops Teams
- Manages Self