Software & GSE Engineering Manager
Job Reference : GTL-2018-03-105
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
The role is a permanent position and the successful candidate will be based in Bristol, UK.
Our Client has more than 40 years’ experience in the design, integration, testing, operation and commissioning of innovative space systems. Using some of the world’s most sophisticated technologies, our teams create solutions that monitor our oceans, help us better understand climate change and drive scientific progress. They’re also a world-leader in satellite telecommunications. And because we supply the International Space Station, we play a pivotal role in helping mankind explore the universe.
Primary Purpose of Role:
- Engineering Managers (EMs) will be responsible for the following within their specific Engineering Department:
- Delivering day to day line management for the people in the Software / GSE engineering department, including performance management, development actions, resource allocation and technical oversight.
- Direct delivery of specified engineering tasks in the fulfilment of bids and projects.
- Reviewing workload requirements and assigning resources, providing regular reporting and escalating conflicts to Engineering Group Manager (EGM).
- Producing and deploying skills development plans and resourcing plans in association with the EGMs.
- Responsibility of Work Package deliverables (by being responsible for Work Package Manager deliverables, estimating hours and milestones within Work Packages, Bids and Studies).
- Cost estimating and time, cost and quality monitoring. Ensuring day to day adherence with these requirements for the specific Engineering Department.
- Work with existing Skills Leads, team members and EGMs on personal development (PDDs) and performance (AADs).
- Perform ad-hoc additional duties that arise from time to time and are consistent with the nature of this position
Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- A degree in space or aerospace engineering – or a compatible subject (involving significant technical / scientific content)
- Significant Experience (minimum 6 years) of working in a space / aerospace or related industry in a complex stakeholder environment, (multi-country, multi customer, multi discipline)
- A positive track record of delivering engineering solutions on time, to cost, quality and budget in a bid / project management context.
- Previous supervisory experience in a project / engineering context
- Previous experience of developing and deploying skills and resource plans.
Key Performance Indicators (not an exhaustive list)
- Work Package / Project Efficiency measures; including cost, quality and schedule
- Workforce productivity against business targets
- Budgetary responsibility of the department (timesheets, off-booking, training and travel)
- CAPEX / OPEX identification / control of the department (feeding into EGM’s)
- Delivery of AAD & PDD activities within the “campaign” timescales
- Health, Safety & Environment performance against company targets
Principal relationships are required with the following:
- Engineering Department Team members
- Engineering Group Manager
- Skills Leads
- Resource Analyst
- Head of Competence Centre
- TAS departments such as Quality, Supply Chain and Purchasing, Bid & Project Management
- Chief Technical Officer
- Engineering stakeholders within the wider TAS organisation
Demonstrates role-model behaviours in accordance with the company’s Leadership Model:
- Shapes Solutions out of Complexity
- Influences Key Stakeholders
- Being Ambitious and Accountable
- Performs Through Co-operation
- Engages and Develops Teams
- Manages Self
Technical Responsibilities with regards to GSE (Electrical and Mechanical) may include:
- Define requirements for GSE systems.
- Design GSE systems for Satellite AIT
- Maintain legacy GSE systems working with team members based in other TAS Sites for knowledge sharing
- Develop documentation for the GSE systems.
- Functional/block diagrams, Test configuration diagrams, Assembly drawings, Harness drawings, Certification procedures, User manuals.
- Oversee manufacturing process for GSE systems:
- This will include procurement, managing/prioritizing the manufacturing processes. Validation and certification for use in the AIT facility
- 1st level support for the AIT facility
- Including commissioning of hardware, Composition of AIT procedures, Training, Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Configuration management of the SGE hardware and software components.
- Management of GSE - This will include receipt, preparation, calibration, validation and monitoring its validity while in use
Technical Responsibilities with regards to Software may include:
- Software Test Specification and Development from a Software Requirements Baseline and Software Technical Specification
- Validation script development and execution on a Numerical Software Validation Facility
- Creating Software Test Reports for formal delivery to end customer
- Supporting the software review process and software problem reporting
- Supporting software verification control process for requirements to test traceability