Senior Mechanisms Engineer
Job Reference : GTL-2021-02-102
Location: Guildford, United Kingdom
Our client's Mechanisms Team seeks a dynamic, organised and proactive Engineer with high technical capabilities and knowledge/experience across a broad range of disciplines including mechanical, electrical, systems, software and optical engineering to work on the development, design, manufacture and test of various mechanisms.
- Management of new and existing mechanism products and accountability for budget, schedule and quality (technical and hardware)
- Design of new or evolution of existing mechanism products whilst being mindful of system trade-offs
- Hands-on engineering including build, test and spacecraft integration responsibilities
- Desired “Product Ownership”: including attainment and progression of a well-defined roadmap and action list; coordinating risk management across mechanism modules and payloads; coordinating module and spacecraft testing; liaising with mechanical system engineers on spacecraft analytical/prediction methodology; and designing modules as necessary
- Interface with internal and external customers including verbal/meetings/presentations/conferences and authoring technical documents (e.g. design reports, procedures, test reports)
- Debugging mechanism hardware issues including electrical, software and component anomalies
Skills and Experience:
- Proven successful ownership and management of technical projects delivered within budget and schedule constraints
- Proven success within spacecraft engineering or high reliability engineering industries
- Proven mechanical design experience including: stress-critical components; precision tolerances and drafting; materials awareness; and fabrication/manufacture methods awareness
- Preferable experience with debugging hardware, component, software and firmware issues
- Electrical hardware design and software experience would be an advantage but the role will not require the engineer to write software, design complex electrical circuits for example as this will be carried out by other teams.
- MEng or BEng or equivalent ideally in engineering
- Self-motivated, creative, high attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously or within project team(s)
- Ability to work under pressure in an organised and responsive manner
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Knowledge of mechanism products, mechanism components (e.g. bearings, actuators, transmissions, feedback devices) and their role within the system
- Knowledge and ideally practical experience of spacecraft systems and mechanisms such as, wheels, APM’s, separation systems, solar array tracking for example or similar types of electro-mechanical systems in a non-space environment.
- Software knowledge preferable, including: SolidWorks or similar; Ansys; Matlab; MS Office Skills
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets; accountability, one team, customers and projects rule and audacity.