Job Reference : GTL-2021-02-101
Location: Guildford, United Kingdom
With the purpose to strengthen the Opto-Mechanical Design Team's engineering. The role will involve all phases in the evolution of optical instrumentation for space flight
- Working within the Opto-Mechanical systems team and with optical, electronic and Systems Engineers to develop and detail working designs for optical systems.
- Opto-mechanical system design from initial concept to detailed final design using using 3D modelling tools.
- Complete precision manufacturing drawings to enable the designs to be manufactured.
- Undertake integration of the mechanical components in the clean rooms, support optical and environmental testing.
- Able to apply sound mechanical design principles in developing designs.
- Maintain a design log, summarizing each step in the design & development process.
- Undertake thermal, static and dynamic structural analysis of components and at system level in collaboration with the Senior Mechanical Analyst.
- Analyse optical element surface deflections and provide feedback to optical design engineers.
- Support manufacturing activities
- Develop the Bill of Materials to allow the MRP system to reflect the completed instrument
- Detailed Project Planning
- Management of Work Packages
- Plan test campaigns, conduct / manage tests, analyse and present results
Skills and Experience:
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant industrial experience.
- Demonstrate experience of the design, build and test of opto-mechanical systems, preferably as applied to space optical payloads.
- Mounting optical components, lenses, mirrors, prisms, filters, detectors etc, kinematic mounting principles
- Materials and manufacturing processes
- Precision engineering in harsh environments
- Mechanical design using 3D CAD
- FE analysis (desirable but not essential)
- Report writing
- Costing and subcontracting
- Customer liaison
- Operation in a quality assured environment
- Good analytical skills
- Competent using CAD ( SolidWorks or similar)
- Knowledge of drawing standard such as BS8888.
- Mechanical tolerance analysis experience.
- Competent using FEA packages such as Solidworks Simulation, ANSYS Workbench or similar.
- Competent in MS Office suite
- High attention to detail is paramount to ensuring that the finished sub-systems will function as designed
- Flexible; able to work on a variety of projects
- Good time management
- Good team working skills and communication skills
- Ability to plan and manage own work
- Highly self-motivated