Job Reference : GTL-2021-02-103
Location: Guildford, United Kingdom
Our client's Mechanisms Team seeks an enthusiastic, success driven and committed Mechanisms Design Engineer to support the expanding range of space mechanisms products and challenges envisaged. The work will cover numerous existing and future product families: such as Reaction Wheels; Antenna Pointing Mechanisms; Imager Focus Mechanisms; Deployable and Tracking Solar Arrays; and Robotic Arms.
- Design and analysis of new or evolution of existing mechanism products including working with other areas of the business for system trade-offs.
- Design for manufacture (DFM)
- Hands-on engineering including development and flight build, testing and spacecraft integration
- Managing multiple tasks and work packages in parallel with changeable priorities
- Interfacing with internal and external customers including presentations, technical reviews, meetings
- Authoring technical documents (e.g. design reports, procedures, test reports)
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of one to two years demonstrated experience in industry of mechanical, machine and or mechanism design.
- Mechanical design experience including: stress-critical components; precision tolerance analysis; drafting; materials awareness; and fabrication/manufacture methods appreciation
- Awareness and understanding of the use of electronics and software/firmware in an engineering environment and demonstrated ability to help electronics/software engineers test and debug is an advantage.
- MEng or BEng or equivalent in engineering
- An appreciation of Design for Manufacture (DFM)
- Self-motivated, creative, high attention to detail and accountable
- Practical ability
- Ability to work autonomously or within project team(s) and a real company player
- Strong communication within company and outside to customers and suppliers
- Ability to work under pressure in an organised manner: positive and persistent attitude
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Knowledge of components (e.g. bearings, actuators, transmissions, feedback devices)
- Use of CAD and FEA software knowledge preferable with design/idealisation intent
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.)
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets; accountability, one team, customers and projects rule and audacity