Lead Systems Engineer
Job Reference: GTL-2018-06-105
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Please note - this is a permanent position.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To define requirements, architecture, design and verification for space systems in accordance with relevant European Space Agency flight standards. This will be completed in accordance with relevant Quality Management and industry Standards. The Lead Systems Engineer will lead Equipment, Payload/Platforms activities within phase A/B/C/D of proposals/projects.
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager with technical oversight provided by the Design Authority.
The main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Analysis of customer requirements and flow them into a compliant subsystem specifications
- Deliver technical documents and estimates for proposals and reviews on time.
- Conduct system / subsystem trade-offs where necessary
- Allocate/coordinate the initial satellite budgets and later updates reflecting the evolving design
- Architectural design;
- System Design and Integration
- Selection of parts suitable for the space environment;
- Interface Management and Specification;
- Requirements Engineering through the engineering project
- Establish Verification Control Documentation
- Critically review inputs from the different teams (systems, software, mechanical/thermal)
- Definition of test procedures;
- Supporting integration and testing at unit and Spacecraft level;
- Support to reviews at all levels of the design, development and testing of the function;
- Project Management
- Technical Leadership
- Liaise with customers and subcontractors on technical issues
- Mentoring team members
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Deliver defined tasks to budget & schedule
- Generate specification, architecture, development and validation plans
- Analyse and where appropriate identify developments required at EM and EQM to support flight development
- Implement and test hardware in accordance with relevant standards
- Support Skill Lead in optimising approaches to engineering processes
Values & Behaviours:
- Produce items to quality standards to meet customer / contractual requirements.
- Provide all tasks and outputs, typically defined within a work package description, in conformance to agreed scope budget and schedules.
- Build relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively with others to achieve project goals.
- Contribute to professional exchanges and develop the corporate expertise in digital design engineering.
- Proactive to optimise engineering processes to reduce costs