Ground Software Functional Manager
Job Reference : GTL-2021-07-110
Location: Guildford, United Kingdom
- Line manage Engineers within the team (includes all line management activities throughout the employee life cycle including recruitment, performance, development & mentoring, PDR’s, wellbeing, development, mentoring).
- Ensure there is a clear understanding of the skillsets, capability, and resourcing required to deliver the project work, current and future, in accordance with our client´s engineering processes and guidelines and the defined needs/requirements.
- Ensure that the team’s current and forward planning of workload is fully scoped and managed through the resource planning tool (RPT). Proactively resolve issues such as resource limitations, potential resource clashes and identify skill gaps for future recruitment activities.
- Motivate and provide leadership to a highly skilled group of engineers
- Own and drive the technical direction of the Ground Software team, ensuring the technical solutions across all projects are consolidated and coherent
- Delivery on commitments; maintain focus within the team on delivery dates and proactive address arising issues and risks
- Align the Agile development lifecycle with current and forward plans, and ensure that an effective feedback loop is established in the team’s development iterations
- Effectively communicate with the Head of Software concerning work progress, arising issues and risk management, and other management concerns impacting the Ground Software team’s ability to deliver.
- Ensure compliance of Ground Software team to applicable client´s standards, and identify improvements to process and practise
- Facilitate product roadmap ideas within the Ground Software team and contribute to roadmap discussions with the Head of Software, Chief Software Engineer and others
- Ensure that all the Work Package Managers in the team meet the requirements of their WPDs, and that their plans are valid, achievable and coherent with our client working practices to the appropriate quality level, and within project budget and schedule constraints.
- Ensure that the WPMs follow ‘best practice’ in the execution of their work.
- Provide technical input and leadership to business development activities as required
- Line management experience preferred but not essential as training will be given
- Knowledge of Software Engineering, including
- Software Requirement Capture & Analysis
- Software Architectures & Design modelling
- Functional and object-oriented programming
- Software testing approaches o Interactive Software development lifecycles
- Configuration management and version control
- Change management
Qualification, Knowledge and Skills:
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent in an engineering, computing discipline
- Excellent people management skills, able to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment and lead the team
- Commitment to deliver and results focused; proactively take responsibility and ownership of arising issues and identified risks to successful resolution
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and influence and persuade other people
- Highly organised; good project/time management skills, able to resolve conflicting and changing priorities and demands within a pressurised environment
- Ability to delegate work and empower people effectively
- Desire to support and guide others
- Ability to think and operate in a forward looking and strategic manner, as well as ability to deal with day to day problems
- Ability to work simultaneously on a variety of projects
- Results orientated, can-do approach
- Pro-active and able to take initiative
- Decision making and creative problem solving skills
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
- Excellent inter-personal skills - both written and oral communications
- Ability to interface with customers and technical representatives
- Skilled at anticipating customer needs
- Proficient in all MS Office packages and knowledge of Microsoft Project
- Able to demonstrate management competencies; Drive performance, Encourage Accountability, Communicate effectively, Develop others, Inspire the team