EGSE Design Engineer
Job Reference: GTL-2019-02-101
Location: Bristol or Harwell, United Kingdom
Our client architects and delivers satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Its systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Our client offers fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career. You will have the opportunity to research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. Your health and well-being matters and that’s why our client offers you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, supporting a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Reporting to the EGSE Manager with technical oversight provided by the Skill lead. The main duties and responsibilities may include:
- Design / Specification of EGSE to support Spacecraft AIT (e.g. EPS, RF, CCS, TMTCFE) following requirement engineering process (Traceability/Compliance matrix etc.) taking into account customer level requirements.
- Review of suppliers documentation / RID generation (e.g. during Tender phase or during formal reviews with the customer PDR/CDR etc) • Support of major review with the Customer.
- Production of relevant EGSE documentation (e.g. Design reports, User Manuals, Test Procedures)
- Oversee manufacturing process for EGSE systems, This may include:
- Procurement, o managing/prioritizing the manufacturing processes.
- Validation and certification for use in the AIT facility
- 1st level support for the AIT facility, which may include:
- Commissioning of hardware,
- Composition of AIT procedures,
Candidate desired Skill set:
- Knowledge of one (or more) Spacecraft subsystem from previous ESA mission (e.g. EPS, OBC, COMMS etc.)
- Experience in certification process would be an asset (i.e. CE marking)
- Experience in EGSE/ATE design/procurement
- EGSE Data Exchange Network (EDEN) protocol will be a plus
- Satellite Reference Database (SRDB) / MIB format will be a plus
- Requirements Management (RATIONAL DOORS knowledge would be considered an asset)
- EGSE Manager for overall supervision;
- Skill Lead for detailed hardware task supervision & mentoring;
- Project Manager for definition of work packages and detailed project oversight of task delivery;
- Other engineering teams to define interfaces, requirements specification and verification to support hardware design, implementation & test activity;
- Product Assurance Manager for support of investigation and correction of problems.
- Customer interaction to achieve consensus on technical aspects
- Technical oversight of sub-contract delivery
Values & Behaviours:
- Produce items to quality standards to meet customer / contractual requirements.
- Provide all tasks and outputs, typically defined within a work package description, in conformance to agreed scope budget and schedules.
- Build relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively with others to achieve project goals.
- Contribute to professional exchanges and develop corporate expertise in EGSE design engineering.
- Proactive to optimise engineering processes to reduce costs
In line with Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.