Chemical Propulsion Engineer
Job Reference: GTL-2021-03-106
Location: Harwell, United Kingdom
The role is a permanent position and the successful candidate will be based in Harwell, UK ( remote working could be arranged)
The main duties and responsibilities may include:
- Take responsibility for the chemical propulsion equipment selected for the subsystem ie monopropellant/bibropellant thruster, liquid propellant tank, fluidic components and technical follow-up with suppliers for the equipment qualification and procurement
- Provide technical input to the design and development of new chemical propulsion subsystems for our client´s satellites/product lines.
- Managing the technical requirements specification (URD) for chemical propulsion equipment and interface with the equipment supplier/s
- Evaluating supplier proposal reviews in TEBs and supporting propulsion equipment definition and selection
- Preparing technical documentation for the solution through the different project life cycle milestones & reviews (PDR, CDR, QR etc)
- Interpreting mission/customer specific and generic system level requirements and establishing baseline technical requirements for the propulsion subsystem
- Support to propulsion subsystem fluidic analyses and preparation of analysis reports for subsystem PDR/CDR data packs
- Prepare AIT plans and test requirements for the subsystem.
- Perform subsystem engineering tasks with support from technical experts in other disciplines (eg Mechanical, thermal, AOCS)
- Perform ad-hoc additional duties that will arise from time to time that are consistent with the nature of this position
Qualifications, Skills & Experience :
- Degree level qualification in a discipline associated with Space Engineering (such as aerospace/astronautics/mechanical engineering) or related subjects (such as physics). Post-graduate research in a subject field related to propulsion would be desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of state of the art chemical thrusters and associated subsystem architecture (primarily monopropellant hydrazine and bipropellants MON/MMH).
- Experience in design of subsystems using low toxicity or ‘Green’ alternative propellants, such as HTP, ADN or HAN would be advantageous.
- Demonstrated knowledge/experience in space projects at different stages of the lifecycle from Phase 0/A to Phase D/E.
- Experience of collaborating in a multi-discipline and international team environment
- Proven experience and proficiency in mathematical tools such as Excel/MATLAB.
- Good working knowledge of the thermodynamic properties of liquid propellants and pressurant gasses.
Desirable Skills & Experience :
- Previous experience in design and test of in-space chemical thrusters, liquid rocket engines or subsystems
- Systems engineering knowledge – across the “Systems V” – to achieve critical project outcomes to time, cost and quality
- Good communication and influencing skills to build productive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders;
- While specific knowledge of the French and Italian languages is not a prerequisite for this position it would be advantageous to facilitate activities across our client´s organization
Internal Relationships :
- Propulsion Engineering Manager, Propulsion Design Authority and propulsion technical skill leader
- Propulsion equipment suppliers
- External partners & customers ( ESA, UKSA, satellite operators)
Values & Behaviours :
- Display energy, drive, agility and resilience in achieving work-related goals under difficult circumstances
- Developing and performing through teamwork, and promoting improvements and change
- Ability to communicate well and influence effectively at all levels internally and externally with customers, partners and suppliers
- Ability to work innovatively with sometimes-unclear briefs; a persistent and tenacious high achiever, with the ability to quickly adapt and learn new skills and concepts
- Be ‘customer focused’ to ensure that the needs of the customers are met
- The job requires a flexible "can do" approach to perform effectively in a fast changing business growth environment and a willingness to "go the extra mile" to achieve results when required
- Demonstrate behaviour that contribute to an agile and collaborative operating model "One Team - One Company"