Job Reference: GTL-2018-05-101
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Our Space Client is a multi award-winning space technology business developing novel deployable spacecraft structures that are lighter, less complex and lower cost than those in current commercial demand.
Based at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - the UK's Space Cluster - the client enjoys access to the world-class facilities & expertise of RAL Space, together with support from the UK Space Agency, ESA, Innovate UK and the Satellite Applications Catapult.
• Develop clear understanding of customer requirements and impact on designs to determine sensitivities
• Demonstrate a clear and logical approach to problem solving
• Perform design and analysis (mechanical-structural, thermal and dynamic-vibration) to support deployable structures projects
• Creation and documentation of design concepts and development plans through engagement with appropriate functional teams
• Preparation of thorough and detailed analysis reports which focus on the verification of requirements
• Documentation of test plans and detailed procedures through interaction with test facilities and teams
• Support technical reviews with customers
• Provide technical support to manufacture and test activities
• Support business development team in preparing technical proposals for customers
• Assist in the production and presentation of technical papers for industry conferences and peer reviewed journals
• Visit customer sites in support of business development activities.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• It is essential that the candidate should have a strong Bachelor’s degree-level in Mechanical engineering from a reputable university. Additional postgraduate (Masters or above) education is preferred, especially if relevant to space engineering
• Previous experience of the Space Industry (1 to 2 years) or a strong desire to work in the space industry is essential
• Familiarity with ECSS standards highly desirable
• Experience in active and passive thermal control of Spacecraft
• Experience with shape memory alloys/composites in spacecraft deployment elements
• Must be able to conduct complex static, thermal, thermo-elastic and random vibration analyses using SW professional/ANSYS/ESATAN.
• The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts is essential
• Experience with software packages for mechanical, thermal analysis and mathematical modelling (SW professional, ANSYS, Matlab etc) is essential.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
• Practical experience of building (space) mechanisms or mobile structures (i.e. mechanism that act as both deployment and support structures) and validating them through testing is preferred
• Good interpersonal skills
• Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
• Self-motivated to meet objectives
• Ability to work both alone and in teams as required by the individual task
• Ability to work within defined timescales to meet programme milestones
• Ability to work on several projects at any one time
• Driven by technical challenges, problem solving and practical implementation of new ideas
• Willingness to learn and share knowledge with other members of the team
• Ability to gain SC clearance. (Be resident in the UK for at least 5 years)