Our Space Client based in Harwell develops novel deployable spacecraft structures that are lighter, less complex and lower cost than those in current commercial demand. Their vision is to become a recognised, leading supplier of highly competitive deployable structures for the global satellite industry. By working with leading academic & commercial collaborators, they are developing genuinely innovative scalable boom, panel and antenna solutions for the world’s leading satellite builders. Based at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - the UK's Space Cluster - they enjoy access to the world-class facilities & expertise of RAL Space, together with support from the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), Innovate UK and the Satellite Applications Catapult.
• Develop clear understanding of customer requirements and impact on designs to determine sensitivities
• Demonstrate a clear and logical approach to problem solving
• Perform design and analysis (mechanical-structural, thermal and dynamic-vibration) to support deployable structures projects
• Creation and documentation of design concepts and development plans through engagement with appropriate functional teams
• Preparation of thorough and detailed analysis reports which focus on the verification of requirements
• Documentation of test plans and detailed procedures through interaction with test facilities and teams
• Support technical reviews with customers
• Provide technical support to manufacture and test activities
• Support business development team in preparing technical proposals for customers
• Assist in the production and presentation of technical papers for industry conferences and peer reviewed journals
• Visit customer sites in support of business development activities.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• It is essential that the candidate should have a strong Bachelor’s degree-level in Mechanical engineering from a reputable university. Additional postgraduate (Masters or above) education is preferred, especially if relevant to space engineering
• Previous experience of the Space Industry (1 to 2 years) or a strong desire to work in the space industry is essential
• Familiarity with ECSS standards highly desirable
• Experience in active and passive thermal control of Spacecraft
• Experience with shape memory alloys/composites in spacecraft deployment elements
• Must be able to conduct complex static, thermal, thermo-elastic and random vibration analyses using SW professional/ANSYS/ESATAN.
• The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts is essential
• Experience with software packages for mechanical, thermal analysis and mathematical modelling (SW professional, ANSYS, Matlab etc) is essential.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software
• Practical experience of building (space) mechanisms or mobile structures (i.e. mechanism that act as both deployment and support structures) and validating them through testing is preferred
• Good interpersonal skills
• Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
• Self-motivated to meet objectives
• Ability to work both alone and in teams as required by the individual task
• Ability to work within defined timescales to meet programme milestones
• Ability to work on several projects at any one time
• Driven by technical challenges, problem solving and practical implementation of new ideas
• Willingness to learn and share knowledge with other members of the team
• Ability to gain SC clearance. (Be resident in the UK for at least 5 years)