Optical Design Engineer
Job Reference : GTL-2017-11-101
Location : United Kingdom
One of our Space Clients based in the UK are seeking an Optical Design Engineer to lead the technical concept development, systems modelling and optical design of solutions for the Optical Systems Group. This role will encompass all phases of the evolution of optical instrumentation development for space-borne instrumentation.
Our client has developed a range of Earth Observation payloads which are currently flying on existing missions. These include both reflective and refractive optical systems that cover a range of applications such as Agriculture, Forestry, Risk Management, Disaster Monitoring, Maritime, Defence and Security.
Previously launched missions have included:
- DMC-3 was a 3 satellite constellation of high resolution imagers, 1m PAN, 4m Multispectral GSD and 24 km swath
- Alsat-1B hosting a 24m multispectral and 12 m panchromatic GSD imager
- Carbonite-1, a 1m GSD with a swath width of 5 km. The imager was a commercial-off-the shelf telescope adapted for space
This is a permanent position based in The UK.
- Space-borne optical instrument system design and development within a multidisciplinary team
- Design and development of optical systems from concept through to manufacture and system integration.
Lead the following activities:
- Optical system requirements trade analysis
- Optical system architecture definition
- Optical design
- Generate design concepts and documentation for technical bid support
- Provide the technical point of contact for the relevant optical system(s).
- Define and manage the programmatic and technical aspects of work
MSc in Applied Optics or Physics with a concentration in optics preferred, however BSc and suitable relevant experience will be considered.
- Optical design experience with proficiency in Zemax is desirable.
- Basic Opto-Mechanical knowledge to aid in optical systems development
Knowledge and Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Optical Engineering, preferably within space applications, coupled with a working knowledge of the other engineering disciplines e.g. electronics, electro-optical device physics and opto-mechanics.
- ‘End to end’ Optical Engineering knowledge and experience including one or more of the following:
- Requirements Engineering and Trade offs
- Electro-Opto-mechanical Design and Analysis
- Integration of Optical Systems (preferably including Space Systems)
- Validation and Verification Engineering, including testing
- The ability to review and critique optical systems for application in space, balancing technical requirements with programmatic and budget constraints.
- Good team player; able to work in close-knit teams with design, analysis, integration and test engineers is mandatory.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to plan and manage own work.